This post probably contains affiliate links, to items I am in love with, and I am confident you will too! For any health advice I give on nutrition and wieghtloss, make sure you check with your doctor, as I am not a health professional. I am just a mama with lots of health and fitness knowledge and experience.
I’ve had to prepare for birth three times now. Each time I learned a bit more about what I need to stock up on, or I don’t want to run out of when I have a newborn. Its so wonderful to sit at home and just enjoy baby, and NOT have to have anyone run to the store for you. I will never forget one of my last photos being 38 weeks pregnant wondering around Target, throwing all these items in my cart. I save this task for some of the last few weeks of pregnancy because I am bored, and all I can do is waddle around. This particular list is just what mamas need in the first few weeks postpartum, to make sure you are comfortable and happy, and no emergency store visits! Before you get into the list, make sure you sign up for a free trial of Amazon Family! Seriously, I waited too long to do this, and now I have my diapers coming once a month, on time, for less money. No more rushing to the store for diapers. I can’t tell you what a great feeling it is to just ALWAYS have them! Do this right away to set up some diapers to come, and it’s free to get started and make sure it works for you! Join Amazon Family 30-Day Free Trial
First, some postpartum care essentials you will need in your bathroom:
- Heavy Flow Pads or Diapers: I actually kinda liked the diaper pads. It was easier than putting a couple pads in my underwear. You can grab the thick pads cheaper on Amazon, and its nice to have a bunch because you can change them more frequently.
- Hospital/Disposable Underwear: These are amazing because you can just throw them away, and they hold everything in. It’s nice to not worry about any leaking or stains, and they are more affordable than ruining your regular underwear!
- Dermoplast/Numbing Spray: I loved this stuff!! It works so well, and is super soothing. I still have some from when I had my baby 14 months ago, and its a great first aid item to have in your cupboard.
- Wtich Hazel Packs: I put these on top of the pads, and they felt so good. Super healing, and you are going to want to have a lot! Also great to keep in the medicine cabinet or first aid kit.
- This postpartum recovery program will give you all the nutritional information you need to HEAL properly and produce lots of milk, while nourishing your body for weight loss!
Fitness and Recovery Essentials:
- Belly Band: This is super important because it will help you dramatically change your posture after birth. Pregnancy has a major effect on our balance and posture, and this will help you stand tall and pull your abs in. It will also re-connect your mind to your abs again, helping to encourage them to pull in.
- A recovery program that focuses on proper nutrition for breastfeeding, weight loss and healing.
- An ab healing and pelvic floor program. My program has a 3-week Ab Rehab and Pelvic Floor Restore program with videos and a weekly plan!
- A fitness app (this is may favorite!!!) to walk you through exercises postpartum. This one has a very special Fourth Trimester plan to help you get through stroller workouts and ease into things again.
Breastfeeding Essentials: for lots of milk!
- Fenugreek Tea: I swear by this stuff. I’ve drank it for all three babies, and I started drinking it before they even arrived to help bring my milk in. I can’t stand the taste, but I put milk and Stevia in it to help me drink it.
- Lactation Bars: These are so yummy and HEALTHY! Not just a cookie recipe or your average packaged cookie.
- Oatmeal: quick and easy, and great for milk supply!
- My favorite protein powder: I like to start getting back in shape soon, and my favorite, super clean protein powder is full of organic ingredients and nutrition to help me produce milk and lose the baby weight! Grab some cheap samples of it to try now and see if you like it. Read more about it in this post.
- This online resource will teach you so much on breastfeeding. I learned a TON of helpful information
- This book will tell you all you need to know on pumping! I was clueless in the beginning
Moving on to everyday mommy items/snacks/toiletries:
- Extra nursing tanks: You will get spit up on a lot. Things get dirty fast, so its nice to have a few extra tanks in between getting to the wash. It’s harder to get laundry done, and as it piles up, you are going to want extra clean items to wear.
- Pajama pants: You will want to be in pajama pants a lot, but with the healing process, and not being able to hold your bladder well, you may want to have lots of clean pairs handy as you get accustomed to everything. I recommend some extra loose ones for the first few weeks, because the tighter yoga pants can be uncomfortable with all the pad and diaper happenings.
- Cute Nursing Covers: Get a few of these! You will want to keep them washed, have one in your diaper bag, the car, at home, the nursery…it’s easier to have a few. Then, you don’t have to take it out of your diaper bag to use if you have company over, or in the car, then forget to put it back! Important!
- New Socks: For some reason, walking around at home with brand new socks on made me so happy! All my babies were born in the Pacific Northwest, after fall, so it was super important to always have enough warm socks.
- Extra Nursing Bras! This is important because even with pads, they just get milky, and you’ll want to change/wash a lot.
- Coffee Necessities: Stock up on your coffee, sugar and cream, so you won’t be up super late and super early, dying for some coffee and find that you are out! Amazon has a new subscribe and save option. I highly recommend this for new moms, even if you just do it for a few months. I’ve been using it for diapers, and it is a life saver. You can do this with coffee, toilet paper and lots more!
- Grocery Delivery: This is such a help as a new mom!! Try AmazonFresh Free Trial as one of the most affordable grocery deliveries. You might as well use the free trial to get you through the first month! No matter how much stockpiling you do, it’s hard to remember everything, and you’ll need groceries at some point. This way you don’t have to run out with new baby at all!
- Your favorite snacks: I’m not sure what you love, but make sure you have a lot of it because days will go by before you know it! It’s not fun to be hungry and exhausted as a new mom, and not have your favorite snacks! I like to have trailmix, popcorn, cheese sticks, chocolate and fruit on hand at all times. You can also tell friends what your favorite snacks are to bring you and make sure you have them!
- Plastic Plates/Cups and Utensils: Just for a little while. It will help your stress tremendously in the beginning with less dishes to wash! Seriously, a great way to go.
- Paper towels
- Dish soap/sponges
- Trash bags
- Kitchen Staples: This is where delivery will come in handy, but think about some of the items you eat on a daily, or regular basis: peanut butter, jelly, eggs, milk, bread, butter, salt, pepper, cooking spray or oil…make that list and get double of everything at least, or plan to have it delivered !
- Skincare items: make sure you stock up on your face wash, creams, lotions and other skin items you use. It’s important that you feel as clean and fresh as possible when you can, and totally not fun to run out!
- Shampoo/conditioner: Make sure you have enough to last a while, so when you finally have a chance to shower, you aren’t out of one or both.
- Makeup Essentials: Mascara, bronzer, powder…the basic items you might want to help yourself feel like you look awake. For me it’s mascara, some foundation and bronzer to get myself looking like a healthy person after nights of no sleep.
- Hair Gel for air drying: I love Not Your Mother’s Sea Salt Spray. Blow drying moves down on the list fast, so grab your favorite gel or spray for air drying your hair. The sea salt sprays are great for a beachy, wavy look!
- Nail Polish Remover: I always get a kick to paint my toenails soon after a new baby.
- Toilet Paper
- Contact solution/eye drops for tired eyes!
This is the list that has gotten me through three postpartum seasons now. It’s a wild ride bringing home a new baby, especially the first one as you get used to everything. Having everything you need is super important, but there’s nothing like Amazon Prime’s 2 Day shipping if you don’t have something. You can order it to arrive the next day if its available as well! Totally worth trying it for free to help you as you recover and get used to another little baby in the house!
Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial!!
So many mamas are having such success with the program, and let me share what they’ve said:
“I’m on the 14 day clean eating part and already feel a change. I love that your program caters to nursing moms. These recipes are boosting my milk supply! Thanks again and can’t wait to use the new app!”
“As far as counting calories, yes that was so helpful!… it was an eye opener…But your concept of reducing ever so slightly and monitoring milk supply was so helpful! I have lost 6lbs-yay!- and have 12 more to go! I am encouraged for sure because it is usually not until I’m done nursing that I’m able to lose weight. So I’m all in for hopefully the rest of my life-on clean eating like this and exercise! Thanks so much for your help!!”
“Feeling GREAT on this program!!! It’s unbelievable how eating clean makes such a difference. Let me rephrase that…it’s amazing the difference eating nutrient dense foods makes! My skin is glowing and I’m already shedding pounds! I also tried the first workout today and did well although I had to modify a bit and omit the backwards burpee (I had cesarean just over a month ago and don’t quite feel ready for that exercise just yet but I will get there). Loving this plan! Thank you SO MUCH for tour help!”
“The few changes I’ve made to diet per your instructions is already helping lower my sweet cravings. I’m sure I’ll notice an even bigger difference when I get stricter. This week has been great as I feel better, have already lost 2#, and haven’t seen a drop in milk supply which was my biggest concern. I look forward to starting the workouts tonight!”
“The baby steps have been super helpful including writing down everything I ate…Another 5 days would be amazing, I was thinking yesterday what am I going to do after the 5 days are finished. You have been incredibly helpful!! I am so appreciative!!!”
My program focuses on specialized nutrition for breastfeeding moms, recipes, meal plans, grocery lists, a new Ab Rehab + Pelvic Floor Restore program, and a new video on grocery shopping and batch cooking for healthy eating after the meal plan.
GET THE PROGRAM AND APP NOW!