This post probably contains affiliate links, to items I am in love with, and I am confident you will too! For any health advice I give on nutrition and wieghtloss, make sure you check with your doctor, as I am not a health professional. I am just a mama with lots of health and fitness knowledge and experience.
I’ve been slowly embarking/dipping my toes into the big waters of home schooling with mainly my 4.5 year-old. The almost-three-year-old is loving learning as well. I finally got around to setting up a learning corner for my boys to help keep them contained, focused and comfortable. It allows me to make the learning fun, and it’s a place they know they are sitting to learn. I’ve included the 5 items I needed to create my learning space for home schooling.
Why is a learning corner important? Well, I don’t think it has to be a corner, that’s just what worked for us. I believe that having a space designated for a specific activity, like the table for eating, helps children prepare their minds for what’s about to happen. It prepares them and sets them up for success.
We don’t just do home school in this space. We also read, use the table for Legos or have snacks. A better name for it might be the sit-still space. It’s where they have to calm down, regroup and pay attention. I keep our Legos in plastic Tupperware, and I only get them out for the learning space. I also have their books, pencils and learning curriculum there, and that’s where they stay.
Here’s What I Knew I Needed in A Learning Space:
- Functional Table. I got this super cute, modern and round table off Amazon called, Kidkraft Round Table. It has a great little hole with netting to put fun surprises, school supplies or small books in. The boys have a lot of fun when I put surprise small toys in there. It came with two chairs, and I put it together in 15 minutes. It was so simple. I really recommend something like this because its comfortable, and not square with sharp corners.
- Seating & Storage: I wanted seating for myself, in addition to storage, and I was interested in a bench. I got this ClosetMaid bench, which has the cubes for the little boxes, which I put all sorts of things in, in addition to space for me to sit. I then got these ClosetMaid cubes to put our books, toys and curriculum sets in.
- White Board/ Calendar: I wanted a calendar, so we could learn our months, days of the week and counting to thirty. I got the white board kind because it will last for years. The plain white board is for practicing our words, games, writing and more.
- Book Basket: I happen to have on-hand this little basket to put books in. I like to have baskets, bins and boxes for things because you can toss everything in, and you can’t see all the stuff. I put a blanket in the basket too, just because it was an easy place for it. The kids can easily reach in and grab books out to read, without having to hunt around too much.
- Rug: I was excited to use the Lorena Canals rug they sent me to review for this space because it is washable! I talk all about how amazing these rugs in this post. They are very soft, big and washable, and the patterns they have are super fun! Check out that post to see more patterns and inspiration on how other moms have used these rugs in their homes.
Those were the main pieces I wanted. Then, I made myself a cute pad to go on top of the bench with some fun surfer/beach fabric. I cut a foam mattress pad to the size of the bench, and then I just covered the foam in the fabric. I wanted it cheap and easy because my boys tend to destroy anything and everything. They like to look at the surfers, fishing boats and fish on the fabric too. I recommend something fun for the kids. My next choice, because this one is already getting dirty and marker on it, is going to be a palm leaf fabric like this one!
Not sure what to teach? Check out these posts!
I have some additional homeschool items I’ve recently added on Venndy, which you can read about on the post where I introduce Venndy! You can see some of the curriculum I use to teach my boys in our learning corner!
APPS ARE ON SALE TIL JAN 16th!
If you need help losing the baby weight and keeping up your milk supply, I have a very popular program, The Postpartum Cure, which comes in an app you can download. This program has helped hundreds of women lose their baby weight, while also keeping up their milk supply. It can be done!
Get more details and see what other mamas are saying!